When I was in my 30’s, I won a company sales contest. The grand prize was a trip to England or Hawaii. I chose Hawaii.
As part of my prize, my company planned guided tours on Oahu, Hawaii. I felt obligated to attend the first tour, and I disliked it and it became my first and last bus tour.
Following are some reasons why this tour influenced me to never take a bus tour again:
- I had nothing in common with my bus mates who left the bus to take pictures of pineapples in fields and then took close-up photos of them. I wondered if they took pictures of pineapples in grocery stores.
My tour mates reinforced that I had nothing in common with them when they stepped off the bus again to photograph field and close-up pictures of sugarcane. At this point, I wanted to return to my hotel because I thought that I was in hell.
The bus driver repeated incessantly that there were no snakes on the Island. He said it so many times that I started to suspect that there were some. In addition, I had a nightmare about snakes and the bus driver.
I was stuck on the bus all day when I wanted to lie on the beach, enjoy a casual lunch, and read my book.
Everyone on the bus carried bags and cameras and resembled Terry and Tommy tourist. I hoped no one recognized me with this motley group — even though I probably fit in more than I will admit.
I didn’t like to get shuttled to a tourist-trap restaurant where the bus driver seemed chummy with the owner. The food was terrible and I couldn’t get a cold beer to escape my misery.
Everyone on the bus was old — like I am now. But even though I am old, I still won’t get trapped on a bus.
I prefer to eat with the locals and determine when my tour begins and ends.
This bus tour affected me for life and left me with humorous memories. However, no matter how old I am, you won’t catch me lined up to board a bus with old people like me, unless I am forced.
- Beijing tourists threatened for not buying enough on tour (wantchinatimes.com)
- Chinese Tourist Tour Bus Burns Down in Flames (pattayadailynews.com)
- Experience space travel – or something like it – on the Star Fighter Day Bus Tour! (en.rocketnews24.com)
- Hawaii Tours Now Accepts Bitcoin (prweb.com)
- TheBus employees approve new 5-year labor agreement – Hawaii News Now (prgnewshawaii.com)