If you miss salt sticking to your skin as you inhale the sea-laden air or the crunch of Fischer’s sweet caramel popcorn or the rhythm of the reggae beat, you’re in luck.
Fall, or the beginning of the off-season, is the best time to travel to your favorite summer beach resorts. Visitors can still sunbathe, swim, shop, fish, crab, boat, play tennis and golf, visit museums, take classes, and enjoy the nightlife.
Beach Net is an excellent resource for year-round information for the Maryland/Delaware Eastern Shore. It includes an event calendar to help maximize your stay.
In addition to an abundance of activities, the following lists the reasons that autumn, especially September and October, is the best time to visit the beach.
September and October Temperate Weather
- Clear skies and mild temperatures are the best beach weather ingredients.
- The ocean has warmed over the hot summer months, and the temperature is easier on your body.
Reduced Crowds Means Less Stress
- You arrive at your destination quicker with less traffic.
- Bike riding is less dangerous.
- Restaurant hostesses can seat you quickly.
- Parking at retail stores is easy and there are fewer, or no, lines inside.
- Golf tee times and tennis court reservations are usually available.
- Beaches are less crowded, and sometimes no one is in sight.
- Surf fishing, paddleboarding, kayaking, and surfboarding are allowed during the day.
- Dogs are permitted on the beach during certain dates, depending on the town.
Best Time for Heavy Blue Crabs
Packages and Deals
- Restaurants run specials and advertise happy hour prices to draw customers.
- Hotels offer vacation packages, and condominium and beach-house-rental costs drop.
- Shoppers can stock up at “end of season” sales.
In my opinion, the best time to stick your feet in the ocean and squeeze the sand between your toes is now.